Tuesday, July 24, 2012

struggle with forward motion

Today, I had two classes. The first class had a grand total of 3 people, including myself! This may be an intimate class. The next class had probably around 500 students. I may be exaggerating, but there were tons of students in the class.

This entry will be short due to the plain fact that I really did not do anything today. I had a plan to jog, but I came into my room attempting to get my email to work when the pillow called my name and I weakly gave in to it's clutches. I napped for about 2 hours. So, being as it is past 4, I really can do nothing more tonight without being accompanied by another person. We are not advised to go anywhere by ourselves at night, which starts around 5 here. It makes the day feel very short and causes the feeling of needing to cram everything into a short time. Luckily, I walk about an hour everyday to class (half hour there, half hour back) so I am moving everyday.

Today was one of the first days I really felt out of place. I have never felt any feeling of sticking out like a sore thumb until today's class of around 500 hundred students. The percentage of black students to white students is crazy. It is probably the exact opposite than it would be at UNI. It is probably something I will have to get used to. It is also an opportunity for me to step into the shoes of the African Americans at UNI. I have always wondered why they sit int their own area and don't stray to far from it or each other. They want to be around like people and not looked like "hey, they aren't white". This part of the experience will be good for me to really get to know my own faults when it comes to race and overcome them. I don't find myself racist, but like everyone we think things about races that are based solely on stereotypes.

No comments:

Post a Comment